Thursday 14 November 2013

Brothers

When I was growing up I was told to stay away from boys because they will break my heart. I did not understand this because I grew up with quite a number of them and I liked them more than I did girls because well we all know that girls are moody. At some point I even saw myself as one of them with regards to being cool. Then I grew up and started developing these awkward feelings of attractions towards some of them, the older I got the more boys I met, the more I realise how similar they were.

With boys everything is simple, what you get is what you see. I do not have a bilological brother but I have gentlemen in my life who I see as brothers. For one they are overly very overprotective of me, I remember this one time I was chilling with one friend of mine and my brother signals with his hand that he does not approve of our friendship. We never talked about it after that but ; I got his message loud and clear. Although I am still friends with the guy: I know that if anything goes wrong; I cannot tell my brother because he does not approve.(lies) I will tell him anyway and he will tell me "Lil sis I got your back just keep me in the loop."

This other time I had a boyfriend and took my time in telling one of my brothers because I had been single for quite a while and I did not know how to break the news to him. When I finally plucked up the courage to tell him he was surprised, but hey! what did I expect. And then he asked to meet him and even shook hands with him. My brother later on told me that he is in my life forever no matter what happens. The relationship did not live to see the light of day but hey! I still have my brother and that is the greatest thing in the world. With him I can totally be the crazy me I know myself to be, I dance with him, sing with him, he makes me laugh and he loves me unconditionally.

We do have our disagreements like  anybody but I would not trade my brothers, uncles, boy-friends, childhood buddies and boys in my life for anything. They brought me joy, love, peace and a whole lot of wisdom when it comes to the opposite sex that I might be attracted to. Above everything they are a part of my life and I love them. yes! I love the men in my life  and if there happens to be a boy that I am attracted to who wants to make me his wife he had better accept that I have these wonderful men in my life and they are not going anywhere.

One calls me princess ; at first it seemed awkward for my brother to address me as such but over time  his action packed approach taught me how a gentleman treats a lady,and  I fell inlove with being called 'Princess." There was this one time when I lived with my aunt and he would pass his place and travel with me to Mabopane Station and ensured that I got into the right taxi. And he would text me the minute I got home asking me if I am okay.

All of these actions have taught me to settle for nothing but the best out of life and to know that I am worth more and should be treated as such. My father is one man who has taught me that no matter what life throws at me I have a family. My uncles are super overprotective and ensure that I am always on my best behaviour. I know that they only want the best for me and out of me.
I take this moment to salute all the men in my life for showng me such unconditional love through your actions, words and life experiences, I am eternally grateful to the women who raised you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment